Soal Try Out SMK/MA/SMA Bahasa Inggris Kelas 3+Listening Comprehension TA 2013/2014
SOAL TES KENDALI MUTU
SEMUA PROGRAM KEAHLIAN
TAHUN PELAJARAN 2009/2010
Mata Uji : Bahasa Inggris
Kelas : III
Waktu : Bahasa Inggris
Hari/ tanggal :
1. Perhatikan dan ikuti petunjuk pengisian pada lembar jawaban yang disediakan.
2. Periksa dan bacalah soal sebelum anda menjawabnya.
3. Jumlah soal sebanyak 50 butir, setiap butir terdiri atas 5 (lima) pilihan jawaban.
4. Laporkan kepada pengawas ujian, jika terdapat tulisan yang kurang jelas, rusak atau jumlah soal kurang.
5. Mintalah kertas buram kepada pengawas ujian, jika diperlukan.
6. Periksa pekerjaan anda sebelum diserahkan kepada pengawas ujian.
7. Tidak diizinkan menggunakan HP, kamus, atau alat Bantu lainnya.
A. LISTENING COMPREHENSION
PART I. Directions: There are three items in this part. For each item, you will see a picture on your test paper and you will hear four short statements. The statements will be spoken TWO TIMES. They will not be printed on your test paper, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say.
When you hear the four statements, look at the picture on your test paper and choose the statement that best describes what you see in the picture. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and mark your answer.
Look at the sample below. Now listen to the four statements.
Statement (B), “There’s a bookcase behind the man,” best describes what you see in the picture. Therefore, you should choose answer (B).
Now let’s begin with the picture marked number (1) on your test paper.
PART II. Directions: There are four items in this part of the test. For each item, you will hear a question or statement spoken in English followed by three responses, also spoken in English. They will be spoken TWO TIMES. They will not be printed on your test paper, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say. You are to choose the best response to each question or statement.
Now listen to a sample question.
You will hear : Sample Answer
You will also hear :
The best response to the question, “How are you?” is choice (A), “I’m fine. Thank you.” Therefore you should choose answer (A).
Now let’s begin with question number (4) on your test paper.
4. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
5. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
6. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
7. Mark your answer on your answer sheet.
PART III. Directions: There are four items in this part of the test. For each item you will hear a short conversation between two people. You will hear the conversations TWO TIMES. They will not be printed on your test paper, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say. On your test paper, you will read a question about each conversation. The question will be followed by four answers. You are to choose the best answer to each question.
Now, let’s begin with question number (8) on your test paper.
8. What will the man do?
A. He will promote the company’s new products.
B. He will go and find out the customers’ job.
C. He will make some phone calls.
D. He will make some products.
9. What is the woman’s advice?
A. Keep busy.
B. Relax a little.
C. Work harder.
D. Keep running.
10. Why does the man like the tie?
A. It matches his suit.
B. It really suits him.
C. It fits him very well.
D. It doesn’t cost too much.
11. Where would the man like to meet next?
A. At the hotel.
B. In the station.
C. At the airport.
D. At the convention.
PART IV. Directions: In this part of the test you will hear two short talks. Each will be spoken TWO TIMES. They will not be printed on your test paper, so you must listen carefully to understand what the speakers say.
Now let’s begin with short talk number (12) on your test paper.
12. What is the announcement about?
A. How people reach their destinations faster.
B. Why people aren’t allowed to take taxis.
C. When the terminal is open for taxis.
D. Where people can wait for taxis.
13. Why should people follow the rules?
A. To arrive faster.
B. To avoid a fine.
C. To receive better services.
D. To avoid paying too much.
14. What is the advertisement about?
A. The airline’s expansion routes.
B. The beauty of Southern Asia.
C. The changes of the flight’s departures.
D. The opening of the new airline company.
15. What is a benefit of the new service?
A. Fast aircrafts.
B. Special tickets.
C. Reduced airfares.
D. Daily departures.
THIS IS THE END OF THE LISTENING COMPREHENSION SECTION
GO ON TO THE READING SECTION
PART V. Directions: Questions 16 – 30 are incomplete dialogues. Four clauses/sentences, marked (A), (B), (C), or (D), are given beneath each question. You are to choose the one clause/sentence that best completes the dialogue. Then, on your answer sheet, find the number of the question and mark your answer.
16. Mila : The soup is delicious, isn’t it?
Bintoro : … It’s a bit tasty.
A. I don’t think so.
B. I don’t have any idea.
C. I couldn’t agree more.
D. I absolutely agree with you.
17. Gina : Where is the meeting room? It seems I got lost.
Aruni : It’s near the swimming pool. Just walk down this pathway and …
A. turn right near the water tank.
B. ask somebody near you.
C. the meeting has finished.
D. take the hotel’s car.
18. Fabian : What do you like to do with all of your family?
Kenny : …, we love eating very much.
A. We will go to the bookstore
B. We visit some amusement park
C. We like to try different kind of culinary
D. We spent our time watching TV together
19. Receptionist: Anaya Hotel, Diane speaking, may I help you?
Leech : Yes, … for three days at the end of December.
Receptionist: I’m so sorry, sir. We’re running out those rooms. We only have the rooms
A. I need two tables at smoking section
B. I’d like to reserve a large meeting room
C. I’d like to book a room facing the beach
D. I want to have some orchids from your garden
20. Anissa : When can you come to my office? I need your help badly.
Syahri : I’m very busy this week. …
A. Maybe I forget it.
B. Maybe next week.
C. I don’t know your office.
D. How about this afternoon?
21. Receptionist : The Emerald office. Good morning.
Arkan : Good morning. Can I speak to Mr. Yudi, please?
Receptionist : …. Can I take a message?
A. Yes, just a moment, please.
B. I’m sorry. He is not here at the moment.
C. Would you like to leave a message?
D. I’ll call back later.
22. Detective: What were you doing when the accident happened?
Mr. Smith: ….
A. I was talking to a friend around the corner
B. I watched what happened from across the street
C. I have been watching the accident with my friend
D. I had been talking to a friend when the accident happened
23. Dicky : Listen, we’re just going around the corner for a drink.
Santi : Well, I’d love to, but I’m not sure I have time.
A. Would you join us?
B. Will you invite me?
C. Will you go to the corner?
D. Would you buy me soft drink?
24. Inderi : Oh God, I failed in my final test. What should I do now?
Indry : …, so you can take a remedial test later.
A. I will give a test
B. You will study hard
C. You have to study hard
D. I will borrow your book
25. Arie : I plan to continue my study after I graduated. How about you?
Ria : I have to find a job but I wish … so I can go to university, too.
A. my parents are working
B. I had passed the examination
C. I don’t need to study anymore
D. my parents had enough money
26. Tuti : New Year is almost coming. What will you do for spending the holiday?
Tita : … My uncle owns it.
A. We will visit our relatives in Bali.
B. We will go fishing at the beach.
C. We will stay in one of the hotel in Lombok.
D. We will stay at home and watch TV together.
27. Lena : Which one do you think would be better for me, taking an English course or
taking a French course?
Yuriko : Well, I think … since your English is already quite good.
A. You’d better take another foreign language.
B. Parish is a well known city for its fashion.
C. English is an international language.
D. You’d better go to Paris, first.
28. Cynthia : Housekeeping division, Cynthia speaking, may I help you?
Guest : I’m running of toilet paper, …
A. could you buy me a newspaper?
B. would you please bring some for me?
C. can you show me where the toilet is?
D. would you help me with my runny nose?
29. Otong : I heard that you’re leaving at Pondok Indah, now. Can’t believe it! …
Hasanah : Thank you very much. That’s also a miracle for me.
A. I do really proud of you.
B. I’m sorry to hear that.
C. What a pity!
D. Poor you.
30. Igor : My computer is out of order. I don’t know what to do. Could you help me?
Paul : Why don’t you ask Wendy? He is a computer programmer. …
A. I can fix your computer.
B. He is able to solve your problem.
C. His computer is very sophisticated.
D. We need to learn about technology.
PART VI. Directions: In items 31 – 35, each item has four underlined words or phrases, marked (A), (B), (C), (D). You are to identify the one underlined word or phrase that should
be corrected or rewritten, and mark your answer.
31. Erika : Daddy, might I go to camping with my senior high friends?
Daddy : I’m sorry, you can’t. There will be grandma’s birthday party at that time.
32. Today, more and more people realize that knowing how to use computer is really
helpful. By having the ability, we will get the more benefit than we don’t have it.
33. Mother : I’m going to go to Hotel Kinasih. I have to follow a workshop over there.
Bertha : Kinasih? Where is it?
Mother : It’s the one where is located near Lido Lake, Sukabumi.
34. Nila : If you have to make a choice, which one would you take, working alone or
working with a team?
Sheila : I’d better be with a team to work by myself.
35. Sania : What happened to your car? I heard that you got an accident.
Britney : It grazes another car when I was trying to park.
PART VIII. Directions: Questions 36 – 50 are based on a selection of reading materials, such as notices, letters, forms, articles, and advertisements. You are to choose the one best answer the questions (A), (B), (C), or (D). Answer all the questions following each reading selection on basis of what is stated or implied in the selection.
Questions 36-38 refer to the following letter.
Dear Mr. Bibit :
You have been highly recommended by several of our members as a speaker for the banquet that closes a two-day meeting of the Indonesian Association of Travel Agents. The place is the Sheraton Inn in Balikpapan; the date is the evening of Sept 23.
The banquet is a purely social affair, climaxing two days of hard work, and we prefer an address on the light side, but with an inspiration theme. I would leave it to you to select a topic, which I know will be appropriate for the occasion.
May I hear from you by August 23? Please indicate in your reply the financial arrangements you require. Just as soon as we have reached an agreement, I will send you more details, including a tentative convention program.
36. When will the occasion take place?
A. On August 23
B. On Sept 23
C. In two days
D. In the evening
37. What is the main idea of the paragraph 2?
A. The topic that will be selected.
B. The person who is going to speak.
C. The programs that will be included.
D. The description of the place will be used
38. The word ‘banquet’ in paragraph 2 has the closest meaning with :
Questions 39 – 41 refer to the following table
Sun Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat
Fly to Jakarta 9
Meeting Mr. Anto 10
Visit factory 11
Fly to Sydney 12
Free day 13
Free day 15
Visit factories 16
Return to Delhi 17
18 19 20
39. What can the table explain?
A. It’s factory’s time table.
B. It’s daily event at factory.
C. Mr. Gatot’s working schedule.
D. Mr. Gatot’s weekly meetings.
40. How many days does Mr. Gatot travel in a week?
41. What is Mr.gatot’s profession?
A. A clerk.
B. An operator.
C. A plant manager.
D. A front desk officer.
Questions 42 – 44 refer to the following advertisement.
Location : Hanoi, Vietnam
Succesful applicant will have :
• Minimum 6 years’ experience
• Experience in S.E Asia
• Excellent English and Vietnamese
Send an up-to-date CV to T.Clapman, jameson-Saville PLC, 1-4 Marple way, London W3 ORG
42. What is the purpose of the text?
A. To entertain the reader.
B. To describe a business controller.
C. To inform the reader a job vacancy.
D. To tell the reader about a successful applicant.
43. What will the successful applicant get?
A. Excellent English and Vietnamese.
B. Experience in S.E Asia.
C. 6 years’ experience.
D. Salary and car.
44. the word ‘controller’ has the closest meaning to:
Questions 45 – 47 refer to the following script.
Interviewer: That’s the end of the first part. Now we are going to move on to the task. In this part of the test you and your partner will ask each other question. I am giving each of you a task sheet. Read it carefully and, when you are both ready, student ‘B’ can start to ask student ‘A’ some questions about a company. Do you understand? Now turn over your task sheets. Are you ready? You start student B.
45. What do you understand from the script?
A. The interviewer asks some questions.
B. The students are giving a task sheet.
C. The interviewer guides the students.
D. The students are turning over the task.
46. What should the student B do now?
A. Read the task .
B. Move on to the task.
C. Ask some questions to A.
D. Turn over the sheets to A.
47. In what part of the test are the students?
C. Part A
D. Part B
Questions 48 – 50 refer to the following text.
Ask Rahman Suherman what his business was and he said: ‘we did everything.’ SUHERMAN INTERNATIONAL was really several companies in one. It was set up in the early seventies by two Singaporean brothers, Ali and rahman Suherman, specializing in the transportation of goods overseas by air or by surface transport in 1980, it expanded into the home market, handling house removals and providing storage facilities.
Based in Singapore, it opened offices in coastal cities, starting with Kyoto and Sydney in the mid-eighties.
48. What is the purpose of the text?
A. To describe transportations in the mid-eighties.
B. To explain Singaporean brothers’ business.
C. To inform the readers about Singapore.
D. To tell the readers to fly with Suherman.
49. Who were the founders of the company?
A. Kyoto and Sydney.
B. Ali and Rahman Suherman.
C. Early seventies and eighties.
D. Home market and storage facilities.
50. What is the synonym of the word ‘expanded’?