Soal Bahasa Inggris dan Pembahasan SMK TA 2015/2016 Paket 1
16. Receptionist : Good afternoon, Jimbaran Inn. May I help you?
Caller : …..
A. I’d like to book a twin room for tonight, please.
B. Could you please fill in this registration card?
C. No, thanks a lot. I’ll try to find the inn myself.
D. Here is the key card to your room, room 411.
17. Diana : Have you heard that Rita couldn’t get the job?
Rudi : Really? She’s such a talented designer. If I were the HRD Manager, …..
A. I will call Rita
B. I would hire her
C. She’d have been successful
D. She would design my office
18. Andre : I lost my wallet yesterday. Now I’m flat broke.
Jimmy : That’s too bad. …..
A. What a shame!
B. I’m sorry to hear that.
D. It must be wonderful.
19. Santi : ….. to our baby shower on Friday evening?
Lucia : I’d really like to, but I have to work overtime that evening.
A. Would it be okay if you talk
B. Do all of you want to go
C. Would you like to come
D. Are anyone here willing
20. Stranger : Excuse me, how do I get to the bus station, please?
You : Keep walking for two blocks and …..
A. It’s at the corner, on the right.
B. It’s about ten minutes walk.
C. The bus station is closed.
D. Where do you want to go?
21. Mr. Hardy : ….. about the extra charges on my bill.
Cashier : may I see your receipt? We’ll check it immediately.
A. They are still thinking
B. I think there is a mistake
C. I think I am totally right
D. Let everyone here talk
22. Rina : I think we should buy a new photocopy machine.
Aditya : Well, ….. , we should first call the service agent.
A. Although it’s good
B. If that’s what I want
C. In my opinion
D. According to me
23. Steward : …..
Clerk : That will be fifty thousand rupiahs, sir.
A. How long does it take to Medan?
B. A single ticket to Medan, please?
C. Medan is not too far from here.
D. Have you ever been to Medan?
24. Reza : When will he begin to work on the report?
Irfan : I guess …..
A. He is reporting it right now.
B. He works for a lawyer.
C. He’ll start on it next week.
D. He has finished typing.
25. Manager : Santi, …..
Santi : Let me see what I can do, sir, because I have to mail these packages this
A. I took these boxes to the warehouse.
B. Did you take a call on line four?
C. Make these copies before 5 p.m.
D. Where is the board of directors meeting room?
26. Mr. Tirta : What is your business routine, Mr. Hanson?
Mr. Hanson : …..
A. My company mailed all our branches in Asia and Australia.
B. My company provides a complete mailing packaging.
C. My company will surely do the best mailing business.
D. My company should have employed more people.
27. Komang : ….. It’s very hot here.
Maya : Not at all. Here is the remote control.
A. Do you mind if I turn the air conditioner on?
B. How annoying is it if I turn the TV off?
C. Excuse me, I need to switch off the radio.
D. I will show you how to put out the fire.
28. Caller : Your phone systems may have some problems. There is no reply from the
Operator : yes, no one picked up the phone. ….. Would you like to leave a message?
A. They don’t know how.
B. They might be at lunch.
C. They prefer facsimiles.
D. They will sell phones.
29. Gina : Was Andi the last to leave last night?
Yunita : No. I think …..
A. Mirza stayed until 10 p.m.
B. Rudi will come tonight.
C. Jimmy lives in Manado.
D. Fadli has delayed his stay.
30. Rika : You know we’re supposed to meet next Tuesday. I’m very sorry, but something
urgent has come up.
Andre : can we fix another time? ….. I’m available on thet day.
A. Are you free next March?
B. Would Friday suit you?
C. What about next week?
D. Is 3 p.m. okay for you?
31. Yola : I was wondering if you would mind to give this letter to Mr. Adams.
Henry : I wish I could but I’m afraid he won’t be pleased.
32. Dinda : Look at the pretty girl over there, the high one next to my mother. She’s my sister.
David : Really? She looks different. Her hair is curly now.
33. Indah : What would you do if you had a million US dollars?
Mirza : If I am that rich, I would quit job and travel around the world.
34. Risma : In my opinion, Mr. Ginting is a more better teacher than Miss Aria. He is also
more intelligent than her.
George : I don’t think so. Mr. Ginting is as good as the other teachers, but Miss Aria has
the best performance.
35. Vania : Hi, Rita. Haven’t seen you in ages! I heard you’re working for a lawyer.
Rita : I like really it. I can now understand people more.
36. What is the letter notifying Ms. Sirait of?
A. The rejection of her job application.
B. The upcoming conference in Bali.
C. The receipt of her job application.
D. The location of the new position.
37. Who wrote this letter?
A. A filling clerk.
B. The organizer of the conference.
C. An unsuccessful job applicant.
D. A manager in a company.
38. What does the word ‘you’ in the letter refer to?
A. Thebes Incorporated.
B. Maya Sirait.
C. Nefertari Adams.
D. Daud Hassan.
39. Who is sponsoring this event?
A. World Trade Organization.
B. The Indonesian Government.
C. Oil and Gas Industry.
D. Expert Oil Incorporated.
40. Where should one write for more information?
C. New York.
41. ‘Contact us for an application package!’
What does the word ‘us’ refer to?
A. International Trade Fair.
B. World Trade Organization.
C. Export Oil Incorporated.
D. Export Oil Indonesia.
SURVEY OF HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
Reasons for low ability in speaking English
No. Reason Respondent Number Respondent Percent
1. No partners to talk to 200 20
2. No confident 400 40
3. Afraid to make grammatical errors 300 30
4. Dislike English 100 10
42. What is the highest possible cause of the low ability in speaking English?
A. They don’t have any partners to talk to.
B. They are not confident to speak English.
C. They are afraid to make grammatical errors.
D. They simply don’t like English.
43. How many students answered this survey?
44. What does the word ‘respondent’ in the table refer to?
A. Grammatical errors.
B. Number of partners.
C. High school in town.
D. High school students.
45. What does the word ‘them’ in ‘because she was so young when she lost them …’ refer to?
A. Sight and hearing.
B. See and hear.
C. Gave and wrote.
D. Lips and throat.
46. What thing did Helen never do in her life?
A. She studied how to interact.
B. She learned a language.
C. She became a writer.
D. She gave up her effort.
47. What can be concluded about Helen’s life?
A. She spoke by touching her lips and throat.
B. She taught children how to write books.
C. Despite her imperfection, she was successful.
D. Though she couldn’t see, she had good hearing.
48. What should we do after the macaroni is cooked?
A. Add the mustard and mayonnaise.
B. Wet the creamy macaroni mixture.
C. Mix the onions, paprika and salt.
D. Taste the salted water in the bowl.
49. The word ‘coat’ in ‘coat top of salad with a sprinkling of celery’ means …..
A. warm outer clothes
B. a formal suit jacket
C. cover the surface
D. fold something
50. What can be concluded from the recipe?
A. The food tastes very hot.
B. The food will be served cold.
C. We need to reheat the food.
D. We would love this food.